Saturday, March 3, 2012

This week is my Mother's birthday. . . Grandma Buehner, to some of you. I think a lot about her love and life. She is one of 8 children. Born in Blackfoot, Idaho, the family soon moved to SLC, where they were all raised. She is the 2nd oldest and 2nd daughter to Kenneth R. Neeley and Maude Elizabeth Groberg Neeley. Life was good in those days. I still listen to the old radio hits and imagine what life must have been like back then. What were they doing? Where were they going? I only imagine them happy. They loved each other.

Mom was the first of the "flock" to fly the coop. My Dad had a career opportunity here in Arizona. That took them out of the loop of the family dinners, get- togethers, birthday parties, visiting on a whim . . . The move didn't happen suddenly. They thought about it for a couple of years before they took the leap of faith to come. I know it was hard. I watched her with sadness every year as we traveled home from fun summer vacations filled with cousins in Salt Lake. She silently cried all the way to Kanab. It was also hard for her to function without her "team" around her like she was used to for so many years. I was surprised when she told me just a few years ago, as I helped her decorate for Christmas, how hard it was to have to do things like that alone, since she was still used to doing things with her family around. "We got so much more done together", she said.

And I think about my Grandma Neeley, who was left a widow when I was just months old. She had never been without all of her children around. That must have been so hard. Her youngest is 2 years older than me.

So, Arizona became our home. It is 2012 and we all still live here. I have rejoiced for Mom (and Dad's) comfort and good fortune to have all of their children here, close by them. That is a rare thing, anymore. I think they sleep better and dream bigger. We have been the recipients of many wonderful memories.

Happy Birthday, Mom! I'm so glad we're all here, too.
I love you!
Jody

No comments:

Post a Comment