Friday, September 2, 2011

911

The doorbell rang yesterday afternoon about 2:30. I was reading "The Book Thief" and was in a trans. Putting the book down I shook back into reality.
I had to pinch myself when I opened the door and saw a big policeman standing there. Black uniform from tall head to toe. I was intimidated. It's amazing how much anxiety can speed through your mind in a split second, when you aren't planning to see a policeman face to face! "Oh no! . . .What has happened?! . . .Where are my loved ones!? . . . I need to sit down!"
Before I could imagine the worst any longer, he said, "Did you call 911?"
Then in a flash, I recalled what I had been doing the last 30 minutes (reading)! And I knew both of our phones had been untouched for most of the morning.
Out of my mouth, as if on trial came, "No. I did not."
I was completely puzzled. (Does he believe me? Now what will he say?)

- a split second later -

About that time, in the open door, I could feel Hairy desperately trying to escape between our feet. No amount of tap dancing could keep her in. Believe me, I tried. But she was off. The policeman said, "Will she come back?"
Things seemed less tense after the escape. I could tell he wasn't worried about the emergency call anymore. So, I stepped outside and we both turned to walk out the driveway - him to his shiny police car parked in front of Kameron's to let all the neighbors know there is some excitementIwonderwhatsgoingon?! and me, to search for Hairy. I mentioned to him that it was kind of weird about the 911 call from our house. He said the dispatcher had identified it as ours, and all she heard was a "click, clicking sound".
Then I told him about our ongoing trouble with Quest. How the neighborhood is being torn up daily as they dig for faulty lines to repair.
As I clapped my hands like a hungry seal, and yelled like a loon for her to stop, running all the way up the street, the big policeman followed slowly behind in his shiny car, just in case of who knows what? I grabbed Hairy just like I always do and marched her back to the house.
Relieved, I decided it might be time to let the land line go and use only our cells.
Now, if I only knew how to handle Hairy!

No comments:

Post a Comment