Saturday, December 15, 2018

      I was ask to come this week to Relief Society with thoughts about what helps me feel peace in Christ.  I thought about this for days, but I would always be lead to one thing:  Music.  I have a thing for music, but when I pondered what gave me peace in Christ, it was more the lyrics.  So I began making a list in my head of the lyrics that replay so often in an ordinary day;  while I'm driving without the radio, while I'm getting gas, when I see someone in need, when smiles are exchanged . . .

      I have so many hymn lyrics memorized.  Each one is a testimony of truth, and that brings me peace in Christ.   Lead Kindly Light has a phrase I love:  "Lead Thou my feet.  I do not ask to see the distant scene, one step enough, for me."  One step in front of the other is all I need.  He will lead me on.   

     With it being the Christmas season, it's easy to ponder words of Christmas carols.  In fact, I have a "small" collection of carolers, that spend 11 months of the year in boxes.  But when Christmas comes, we spread them throughout the house.  They help me imagine the heavenly hosts and choirs of angels that sang and proclaimed Jesus's birth.  "Joy to the World, the Lord is come.  Let earth receive her King!  Let every heart prepare Him room!    And Heaven and angels sing!  Rejoice. Rejoice!  Sing in exaltaion!"

What peace this brings. 

    " Oh, Holy Night" has lyrics I love.
 He knows our need.  To our weakness no stranger.  Behold your King!  Before Him lowly bend!
and then
Truly He taught us to love one another;
His law is Love and His gospel is Peace;
Chains shall he breaks, for the slave is our brother,
And in His name all oppression shall cease.
Sweet hymns of joy in grateful chorus praise we;
 Let all within us praise His Holy Name

This brings me peace

     "Good King Wenceslas" is a meaningful, musical story with lyrics that go on for verses.  But His goodness is so Christ like.  I think of the King and his page, who together go out into the snow to bring in a poor, cold man, so they can serve him food, warmth, and shelter.  On their way, the page, who can hardly stand the cold says,

"Sire, the night is darker now
And the wind is stronger
Fails my heart, I know not how
I can go no longer"

then the King says

"Mark my footsteps, good my page
Tread thou in them boldly
Thou shall find the winter's rage
Freeze thy blood less coldly."

then

In his master's step he trod
Where the snow lay dinted
Heat was in the very sod
Which the Saint had printed.

I can imagine myself worrying, but Christ has already marked the footsteps, all I have to do is tread in his prints, and I'll be warm.  This brings me peace.


And last, but not least

"I Belive in Christ"

 (read)

I'm thankful for the soothing hymns of joy, and especially the lyrics that bring me peace in Christ.






    

    


No comments:

Post a Comment