Wednesday, March 14, 2018

Thank Heaven for Little Boys!

Today is Jeff's birthday.  He reminded me that since it's an even year, he has an even numbered birthday. He is 34.  Funny, that's how I remember too.  That makes me feel good.

Since it's also a space of time where we have been clearing out Mom and Dad's house, our childhood home; I have been thinking a lot about them lately.

I remember the day Jeff was born, at Mesa Lutheran Hospital in Mesa. This was a big deal to be presented with a little boy, after having two sisters before him.  I was in love.  I couldn't keep my eyes off of him.  A blue blanket; imagine that!  He was perfect and handsome, and brand new.  I knew I needed to call Mom, since she had been home with the girls, anxiously awaiting the news.  She wanted to know all about him, and I tried my best to describe everything.  Then, in between my words, she interrupted me.  "Is that him I can hear?" she said.  We both were silent.  I realized that as I was speaking, so was Jeff.  He was just minutes old, and had never heard his own little voice before (at least in stereo).  He chose Grandma's telephone call to experiment with all he could make it do.  Softly humming high and low, loud enough to catch Mom's ears.  It was magic.  I acknowledged it was indeed him, and I put the phone closer to Jeff's little mouth.  We listened and giggled for a long while, enraptured over our new little gifted baby boy.  It was heavenly!

Mom had me.  After that, she had three boys.  Each one, such a prize!  I know she loved me, but no one could compare to her boys.  Jeff fit right in.  I'm so thankful for the connection of that day, sharing Jeff's real birthday with Mom, and feeling heaven over him, with her. 

No comments:

Post a Comment