Sunday, December 24, 2017

. . . and waffles

One year ago, tomorrow.  Christmas Day.  Mom is heavy on all of our minds.  She seems to need more and more care and thought.  Some days are like a blur to her, I'm sure.  I know she enjoys  us being around, but drifts shortly after.   Not quite the same.  Hence, we watch and are around her a lot. . . .

I got up, as usual this Christmas.  With family all here, our morning was delightfully busy.  The traditional waffle brunch out at Mom and Dads was what we anticipated next. This was Moms first Christmas without Dad.  He had been gone for 10 months, which was part of her distraction.  At about 10 AM, we met in Gilbert.  I walked in to a peaceful atmosphere  (unlike other busy years)  No noise.  Tabernacle Choir Christmas music in the background.  I went straight into Moms bedroom.  There she lay quietly.  I knew Richelle had been over earlier, since she was wearing her Christmas sweater and her hair was nicely done.  When I walked closer, I knew she was anticipating family togetherness, too.  Excitement filled her eyes when she saw me.   She was quite like a little girl, ready to clap for joy  And we both happily said "Merry Christmas!" together.  Our arms reached out for a sweet hug, and I helped her up to put her shoes on, that were ready by her bed.  She was happy it was Christmas.  She knew she would be surrounded by love.  As much as she missed Dad, we were part of what held her together.  And more important, she knew what Christmas is all about. Her knowledge of Jesus Christ, and his being born and dying for us, is also what held her together.  Dad might not have been too far away either. 

I won't ever forget that morning.  Heaven must feel like that.  The hugs were longer and stronger.  All our eyes were bright as we considered our dear Mother and Grandmother. She was an angel.

Tomorrow morning we will gather around again..  In their sweet home.  Eating sweet waffles.  Making sweet memories. Life goes on and on into eternity.  If you listen with your heart, you will feel Mom and Dad there too.  Their love and testimonies are what holds us together. 

. . . and waffles 

No comments:

Post a Comment