Monday, July 28, 2014

Love / Hate relationship with the skin Dr.

Last Monday I had a skin appointment . . . again.  It had been on the calendar for a while.  When the Dr. said she wanted me back in 3 months, I was a little relieved.  She was knowledgeable to the signs of trouble sooner than I.  Having three surgeries on my neck in one summer a couple of years ago, it was obvious I needed more attention than just my own diagnosis.

I was actually counting the days until my appointment, not because I loved going so much, but I had developed one for sure spot on the back of my calf that seemed to pop up overnight.   When I pointed it out, she kept saying, "Oooooo".  Then she turned toward her new ipad technology and scribbled away saying, "How about we do a biopsy?"  She continued to go over skin I could not see, until she got to the back of my thigh, and again I heard, "Oooooo".. (she really does have ex ray eyes!).  Then before I knew it she was taking photos of my marks and had me down for two biopsies; one on each leg.  If I could have run away I would have.  Is there a violation for that?  Oh, the times like this when I wished I could have run.  But I stayed, and they "doctored me up".

On the way out, she told me it would probably take two weeks for the results.  Great. That'll be fun.  Right during our cruise.  Does it get any more fun than that?

It's been a week.  I have babied my little abrasions.  All the while remembering flawless skin in days of yore.  I cringed to think what was in store. . . The phone rang a few minutes ago.  I was surprised to hear the voice of the nurse, since I thought I had another uninterrupted week to go.  In that split second, my worries kicked in and I convinced myself that my flaws were so bad, another week would be too late!  But I swallowed hard, composed myself, and tried to sound unfrazzled.

 "The results from both of the biopsies are benign", she said. (If I was a nurse or doctor, delivering that kind of news would be the favorite part of my job!)  I stuttered as I tried to tell her I had expected the worst.  "Did I make your day?"  she laughed.  I replied with emotion, "Definitely!"  She has no idea the new life line she threw me! 

Today I am a new person with a couple of healable imperfections.  And a sweet gratitude for blessings I don't deserve. 

1 comment: