Tuesday, August 14, 2012

What I've Learned

It's been almost a week since my little neck surgery.
Some of the things I've learned:

1.  The big padded gauze bandage tape was not what was stretching my skin.  It was those tight little stitches.  When I tried to hang a left to get out of the parking lot, I felt like a board!   I couldn't look left without turning my whole upper body left.  I honestly was still in the parking lot when I realized I should've just ask for a full face lift.

2.  There is not a bandage in any Walgreen's that sufficiently covers my stitches.  I've filled the trash with band aid papers from big "skin" colored (not!) patches that stuck to my poor hair, to craft project clusters of 10 regular band aids with the pads all lined up in the shape I needed, to a big bandage secured across the back by a regular bandage, to finally the success of a big bandage with translucent waterproof edges, except for the back edge, which I carefully cut off so my hair would be free of the sticky.

3.  I also have been up on the latest scarf tying / draping techics.

4.  Getting ready for church requires extra time.  After 3 changes of clothes, knowing the key accessory would have to be the scarf, I finally was satisfied.  Then, sitting in choir practice I couldn't feel my slip, so I stopped for a double check on the way to the chapel.  I was right. . .  slipless!  My luck, the choir was singing.  Great!  I suddenly remembered my 80 year old, prim and proper friend, Dorothy, in our family ward. When asked to say the closing prayer at church, she wouldn't have declined, even though she had forgotten her slip.  It wouldn't have been so bad except that it happened the last time she prayed, too!

5.  I recommend scheduling this sort of thing in the winter months, when high collared clothing is perfect for camouflage.   Summer in Arizona just doesn't work.

Or maybe Halloween . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment