Monday, March 14, 2011

March 14

Yep. Today is Jeff's birthday. Right during spring break, and now right during wedding anniversary season, including his own! It's a busy time, but a beautiful time.

I have been thinking of stories of Jeff. I could go on and on, but I'll spread them out over time.

When Jeff was in kindergarten, we had just moved into this house. If you looked out the kitchen window in those days, you could actually see Sureno elementary. (Well, someone with good eyes could see the school!) I was especially good at seeing the yellow school bus pull up in front. You couldn't miss that. I know about that big yellow bus, because everyday I would watch the clock for 12:00 (noon) and then stand at the window knowing that Jeff was on it and he would be home any minute. Most days I would walk down to the stop sign and walk with him back to the house. He was (and is) a beautiful kid.

One afternoon, while I stood at the bus stop, there was a rustling of parents calling for my attention. We met across the street and it was there I learned an experience about the previous day's delivery of kindergarten kids. (I don't remember why I wasn't at the stop, but it was a day that I missed, never to miss again.)

The neighbors frantically told me in all of their versions together. It seems that the driver the day before, was a substitute. He got to our corner and let out all of the kids. There was such a cluster of them, he figured they all lived north. He was too unfamiliar to notice that Jeff lived south. The door closed and he hit the gas pedal, thinking he was clear. But there was Jeff going south, right in front of the bus. He wasn't tall enough to see, and besides, the driver wasn't looking for more kids. He thought they all lived north.

I'm sure the cluster of neighbors saved Jeff's life that day. They could see a possible tragedy beginning to happen. They went into frantic mode and screamed and yelled and waved to get the drivers attention. Luckily he stopped quick, just in time to see a little boy safely head south.

My heart still pounds when I think of what could have happened. I am so thankful for good neighbors who watch out for each other.

And I am thankful for Jeff.

I have a feeling Heavenly Father was watching out for him that day, too.

Happy Birthday, Jeff!
I Love You
Mom

1 comment:

  1. This is the sweetest thing ever. What a great mom. Happy Birthday Jeff!

    ReplyDelete