Thursday, March 31, 2011

Another Lesson from Mom

It is still March - for one more day. Since March 9 is Mom's birthday, I decided to write about another lesson I learned from her, even still at this stage of my life.

I remember when Dad was in the hospital after having his touch and go quadruple bi pass surgery. I was with Mom in the elevator, going to the fourth floor to visit him. We pushed the #4 button and out of the blue, I heard her calm voice say, "Let's have a prayer."
I can count and I know how fast an elevator can get you where you want to go. But it was fruitless for me to remind her that we might not have time for a prayer. She had already bowed her head and begun praying, so I bowed my head and listened as she expressed love, gratitude, and wishes for the day. It was a sweet prayer that blanketed us with strength and faith. Just as she finished, sure enough, the bell sounded and the door opened. There we stood. To others, we might have looked like any other elevator riders. But we were different when we stepped out than when we stepped in.
How long does it take an elevator to ride up 4 floors? How long does it take to offer a heartfelt prayer of love and faith?
I'll never question it again.

Last week-end was a payday for Jon's family. Jeremy was married to Carly in the San Diego temple. It was a beautiful day and I'm SO glad we all were able to go. Jim and Richelle took Mom and Dad. Randy and I took Carianne, Kate and Vita. It was a Heavenly experience. We soaked in the day and after the luncheon, we all made time to go through the Mormon Battalion museum before we journeyed home.
We loaded up our van and were rolling through the parking lot when we passed Jim's truck. They were loading up, too. I noticed Mom walking towards our car, so Randy rolled down the window as he came to a stop beside her. She leaned in, and with Jim and Richelle behind her, she said, "Let's have a prayer together." She stood close so we could all hear her and with one hand folded and the other gripping the open window, she offer a prayer of gratitude, love and a plea for our safety during the drive.

Again, right out of the blue, right in the middle of a busy parking lot. That was of no concern to her. Can you feel Heaven in a parking lot? Ask me. Thanks to Mom I felt it there that day. When you need to pray, you need to pray.

She is still teaching me all that I must do . . .

Thank-you, Mom. I Love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment