Monday, May 17, 2010

A Tender Mercy

When I was 20 years old, my brother, Jeff , was tragically taken from us in a car accident, while serving a mission for our church in Pennsylvania. There were 4 Elders in the car and 3 of their lives were taken. It was an experience that I do not wish on anyone, however, the Spirit of peace and comfort was so strong, during that trying time that I cannot deny he is safely with Heavenly Father. I also know that I will see him again someday.

My youngest brother, Jim was only 8. I remember a poster we had made of Jeff's mission, hanging in the hall. It showed pictures of where he was living, pictures of him in his suit, smiling, with his missionary name badge, etc. When the accident happened, there mysteriously appeared on the poster, in little 8 year old handwriting, "I miss Jeff." Those words became more and more meaningful as I watched Jim try to come to terms with this experience. As the years passed along, I realized that, even though I never saw him struggle or cry (that I can remember), he had some deep, sweet feelings. He felt "short changed" because he knew Jeff the least amount of time, compared to Jon ( 14 years old) and I. It must have been so hard for him.

We moved from our home on Cheery Lynn Road to Gilbert a few years later. Jim attended middle school and high school there. He also served a mission to Chicago and married Richelle. He is now the father of 3. Once a little boy. . . now a good man. Continuing to walk uprightly, and being interested in everyone, he has made many friends.

One afternoon in the hallway at church, a new member in his ward overheard his name. Out of the blue, the member called to him, " Brother Buehner? Do you know a Jeff Buehner?" Jim was surprised, but curious - of course he knew Jeff Buehner. The man continued to tell him that he was a missionary in Pennsylvania, also, and although he never had a chance to meet Jeff, he learned quickly about him and of the tragic accident.

It had just happened a day or two before, and when he arrived at the mission home, the feeling inside was heavy. He described that as he walked by the mission Presidents office, an Elder was sitting inside, with his head in his hands. He later learned it was the one Elder, the driver, that had survived, and was obviously dealing with it very hard. The member also learned that before the accident, the hearts of the people in the area were guarded. They were convinced that they didn't need the church. They had their own. Their doors were either shut quickly upon seeing the missionaries, or not opened at all. But little by little, the Elders were making an impression, being out and about in the community. People began recognizing them. Some had visited with them and others had not. Either way, when the accident happened, it hit home to everyone. If they had met them, they knew them. If they had never met them, they had seen them and knew of them. It touched everyone, and grieving was felt by many. Miraculously, though, their hearts began to soften. They put down their barriers. It united them in sadness and as a result, they began to listen and know how true the church really is.

Of anyone who deserved to hear this experience from a new friend that day, it was Jim, The youngest brother of Jeff, who longed to know him better. It gives me strength to know that this meeting was not a happenstance. The member was placed there for Jim. We might not have ever learned of this story, except through Jim. He needed it. And it was sweet to hear it from him.

I am so grateful to know that there really is a Heavenly Father who knows our needs. Whenever I think of a "tender mercy", I always think of Jim's experience.

1 comment:

  1. I can't say thank you enough for starting your blog. I really enjoy reading it. You have a gift.

    ReplyDelete