Sunday, February 10, 2019

Yesterday was a good day.  We attended a funeral of a giant of a man we knew from Corona 2nd ward.  Steve Lepetich was honored thoughtfully by each of his children.  Their children all went to school with our children.  He was a practicing OBGYN in Tempe and Gilbert who had delivered over 18,000 babies, much to the joy of that many mothers, fathers, grandparents brothers, sisters, aunts, and uncles.  For 34 years, his tender care was profoundly felt as each child, to him, came straight from God.  He knew he was working on earth to deliver heaven sent babies, and everyone in the delivery room felt it.  Many of his writings were shared, something that was new to a neighbor or coworker, but all too familiar to his children.  He influenced so many people in the church and out.  The Stake center was filled to capacity.  He was one year younger than Randy and I.  Two weeks ago, suddenly he had a heart attack and passed away.  You would think a tragedy like this would affect his own dear family, but the shock rippled on to friends, mothers to be, church and work associates, etc.  After learning more about him yesterday, it was clear that he was always anxiously engaged in good things (family, love of God, nature, life).  He didn't waste time.  The program was touching, as it showed photos of so much and so many he loved.  The back cover was what impressed me the most.  There was a perfectly placed family photo of he and his wife (Shelley), sitting with his 94 year old mother in between them in the front.  Behind them stood each of their married children and all of  their 14 grandchildren.  The photo had been taken last December, just two months ago. 

It's times like this when I realize life is short.  There is nothing like a real tragedy to overshadow some minor drama (blown way out of proportion) that reminds you what is really important in life.  People, especially the ones you promised to love and cherish for eternity are the prime importance , no matter what.  The smiles, the forgiveness, the serving, the love beyond measure because no one can take their place, the golden rule, the friendship, the peace, the catching when one of you falls, the not giving up on eternal things...It's times like this when life seems so short. 

Also, on the back of the cover, was a poem he penned.
 "Reflections in windows reflecting our lives.
So why don't people try to open their eyes.
 Look for the beauty in each tiny while.
 And answer that window with a true friendly smile."

Life's minor hurdles don't matter.  Our loved ones do.

I am soft to these inspirations at this point in my life.  Each one of our children, I love so dearly.  And now there are sons and daughter in laws who love those same children fiercely, which brings me peace.  And don't get me started on our precious grandchildren.  I'm thankful for reflections.  I'm thankful for my countless blessings.  I am thankful for my family. I am thankful for eternal life.  I'm thankful.

1 comment:

  1. I am in shock of the loss of this great man. He delivered 5 of my kids. We all loved him greatly and he will be missed. Thanks for this nice tribute to him.

    ReplyDelete