Thursday, August 6, 2015

Perfect



- GOOD HEAVENS !

  WHO ARE YOU ?

- I'M A LARGE WHITE.



- YES, THAT'S YOUR BREED, DEAR.

  WHAT'S YOUR NAME ?

- I DON'T KNOW.



WHAT DID YOUR MOTHER CALL YOU

TO TELL YOU APART FROM

YOUR BROTHERS AND SISTERS ?



OUR MOM CALLED US

ALL THE SAME.



AND WHAT WAS THAT,

DEAR ?



SHE CALLED US ALL BABE.

                                                                                                
I don't know why this passage from "Babe" has stuck with me all these years.  But it spoke to me then and it speaks to me now.

When our children were small, I tried to raise them equally.  They each had unique qualities that set them apart as a prize.  I tried to help them know that they were all prizes.  The question of which one was favorite was never spoken.  I was raised the oldest and only girl before 3 brothers.  Yes.  They tell me I was a favorite, especially in my Grandma's eyes.  I'll admit it, I was the stand out.  I was spoiled, as my brothers quickly point out.  Randy was 1 of 10 children.  In their household, if you didn't know how to stand out . . . well, let's just say it was, lively.  So, back to our own children, I really didn't want to short change anyone

Here it is, 2015.  Each one is married now and has their own littles, along with spouses that have also, fortunately come from backgrounds with parents who love them dearly.  I am here to say that "Babe" still plays in my heart.  For as long as I live, I will hold all my precious posterity as prizes.  Don't even ask, or talk about who might be a favorite.  There is no such thing.  I'll call you all, Perfect.

 

3 comments:

  1. Don't worry mom, I'll keep your secret that I'm the favorite. 😊

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete