Thursday, April 30, 2015

All That I Am or Hope to Be

I went out to Gilbert today with Francie.  That seems to be the day I can take Mom grocery shopping.  She makes her list and in between the ailes I put pieces together about life with her and Dad.  This week we looked for canned sweet potatoes because Dad likes them.  Last week we learned that the 5 lb bags of old bananas Dad loves (not sure if it's because they are $ .25 or because they're not completely brown yet) will no longer be sold at Safeway.  They'll now go to the food bank.  (We gently broke the news to him!)  We also carefully chose frozen entrees to try; Dad, not being a fan of rice.  It pleases me the way Mom loves the produce section.  I can imagine her little "spreads" at meal or snack times.  She still writes out a check for payment, or she'll pull out exactly the right amount of cash Dad has provided for her, with her slowing fingers.  She laughs with Francie and I get a glimpse of her upcoming week.

When we got home, there was Dad.  He has been down (physically and "in the dumps") because of a very painful shingles episode in his left eye.  He always gets up and dressed, but has been unable to drive (I know, he's 89!), or read, or garden, or go home teaching, or church.  This eye thing has taken a lot out of him.  So, he has been home, trying to stay busy; but miserable.  We sat down at the bar and as I fed Francie,  Dad and Mom sat across from me.  I got ready for his stories.  But instead, he began to explain his gratitude for things being done around him that, before the eye setback, had gone unnoticed.  How, reaching for a clean towel, it occurred to him that someone had washed and folded that towel.  Or someone had put a place mat down before the meal (Dad has a thing for place mats).  He was talking about Mom, and all the things in her 84 year old life that she still does for him.  Mom angelically smiled.  

Next Sunday is Mother's Day.  I'm thankful for her example of selflessness, among hundreds of other perfect qualities.  And I'm so thankful to call her mine.  Don't think I don't still take notes, like on our Thursday grocery shopping trips.  I love them and I love her!

"All that I am or hope to be, I owe to my angel Mother"  (Abraham Lincoln)

PS.  As we visited, we realized that today is her Mother's birthday (Maude Groberg Neeley - Grandma Neeley).  I'm pretty sure she was listening in with us, too.  


1 comment: