Friday, March 14, 2014

Deja vu

I remember years ago, driving along a two lane Greenfield Road, with cotton, corn, and maze fields lining each side as far as you could see.  It was the best route we could take from our house on Juniper St.  in Mesa (W of Mesa Dr. and N. of Brown).  We'd take the two lane (then) Brown road east, that separated major citrus groves on each side.  It was a beautiful ride to and from Grandma and Grandpa Buehner's; especially in orange blossom season.  It's amazing how much cooler the air gets when you're surrounded by green and irrigation.

I remember having only 2 year old Jeff in the car as we drove along.  I rolled down his window so he could feel the beautiful air from his car seat, kiddy/corner from me.  What was even better than the fresh air, was the look of pure joy on Jeff's face as the wind blew through his wispy hair.  I could hardly keep my eyes on the road because every time I turned back to see his delight, he would look back at me with a huge, wet lipped grin as he leaned his head back against the seat.  He was in heaven and I thought I was, too.

I probably would have forgotten this sweet memory, except it came back in a flash last week.  I had the privilege of watching Henry (almost 2) for the morning, and we drove to Gilbert to see Grandma B.  We had a fun filled time;  dogs, roosters, feeding chickens, petting horses, playing games with Grandma, and lunch.  He was such a delight, it was hard to leave.  But we packed him up and after the "huggins", we were off.

Greenfield Road is now a busy, multiple lane thoroughfare.  We headed north on that beautiful spring morning.  As Henry sang away, I couldn't help rolling down the window to add to his happiness.  That's when it hit me. . .  I've done this before!  My heart skipped a beat as I quickly turned around in anticipation to see . . . Henry's flawless face, with a grin that spread up to his big bright eyes.   There it was again - only a sweet generation later.  Pure joy!  He was in heaven, and so was I. 

Happy Birthday, Jeff!
I love you!  (and Henry!)
Mom

1 comment: