Thursday, September 27, 2012

Not To Be Taken Lightly

When I was a young mother with little children,  housework, a few piano lessons, etc, I received a jury duty notice in the mailbox.  I had only heard about the importance of jury duty, but never been summoned.  My  immaturity showed as I immediately thought of all the reasons it would be an inconvenience to take the day away from my  "important" routine.  I did go down to the courthouse on that prescribed day, however - armed with a defense plan of why someone else would be a better choice.

I was successful at encouraging them to pass me by.
My Father in Law happened to be in town soon after and overheard my boasting.
Here is a man who was career military in the National Guard.  He spent his early fatherhood years away from his family, to defend our country in the bloodshed at Iwo Jima  And I will probably never stop meeting people who rave about C.B. Clawson being their scout master.  His life was all about serving his fellow men.

In a gentle voice and without criticism, he looked at me with a twinkle in his eyes and a forgiving smile. . .  I knew I was in for a heart to heart.
"You know, Jody, being ask to serve on a jury is a privilege.  It's one of the most important things you can do as a citizen of this free country to encourage liberty and justice."
It was true.  Up until then, I took that invitation to serve lightly, but he helped me understand that because of others' service, my life was rich.  And if others can serve for me, the least I can do is honor a small  request to serve on jury duty.

This year is another important year -  2012 Presidential Elections.  We have had some enlightening conversations here at home, as our children listen, with concern and interest, to the candidates and then to each other in a respectful way.   (Thank - you kids!)

Like Grandpa Clawson's lesson, voting is right up there with jury duty.  It seems like a small thing, but it is huge.  It is a privilege and it is the least we can do towards bettering our lives here.   Because of Grandpa Clawson, my heart will swell with thanksgiving as I take voting seriously.  My safeguard comes from knowing the facts and making a prayerful choice.  Not just for our generation, but for many others to come.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment