Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Cherry Dream Squares

Back in the early 80's, we were settling into a new home at 329 E. Juniper St. in Mesa. We hadn't been married that long. (I was either expecting Julianne or she was a baby.) I was just getting to know the ward and the people in it - kind of a new experience, being "grown-up" now, trying to live like you knew what to do!
But my new visiting teachers came by one day, as planned. It was a nice visit. They were young and new, too, and anxious to know me. As we visited in the front room next to the window, one of them handed me a plate of beautiful cherry bars. Her name was Marsha Payne. The bars were delicious! I was sure to ask her for the recipe on their next visit.
It took a minute to remember, but luckily it came to her. It was from a Woman's Day magazine from a couple of weeks before.
The minute I waved them off at the front door, I headed out the back. Car keys and purse in hand (Julianne too, I'm sure, if she was born!). I had to find that recipe! I was relieved to find of, in the exact same issue she told me. There it was, "Cherry Dream Squares".
I had no idea then, how priceless this recipe would become. I'm sure I have made it a hundred times since then. I copy the recipe again and again when the card gets ratty. Or I give it out gladly, just like Marsha did for me. I don't ever make them, that I don't think of Marsha, my first visiting teacher, that taught me how to share something really yummy.
It has become a part of me, so here it is for you. In this Valentine's Day Season, where red and cherries belong:

With Love

Cherry Dream Squares

1 pkg. white cake mix
1 1/4 cups rolled oats *
1/2 c margarine / butter (room temp.) *
1 egg
21 oz. can cherry pie filling
1/2 c chopped nuts
1/4 firmly packed brown sugar

* divided - read below

Heat oven to 350o. Grease 13 x 9 pan. In large bowl, combine cake mix, 6 TB butter*, and 1 cup rolled oats*. Mix with a fork until crumbly.
(Reserve 1 cup "crumbly" for topping.)
To remaining crumbs, still in bowl, add 1 egg. Mix until well blended. Press into prepared pan.
Pour cherry pie filling over pressed crust; spread to cover.
To reserved crumbs, in large bowl (I usually use the same bowl again), add remaining 1/4 cup rolled oats, 2 TB butter, nuts, and brown sugar. Beat until thoroughly mixed (or by hand).
Sprinkle over cherry mixture. Bake at 350 for 30 - 40 minutes, or until golden brown. Cool completely. If desired, serve with whipped or vanilla ice cream.

2 comments:

  1. I make this one all the time too. Thanks mom for always making this favorite dessert.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These sound yummy! Can't wait to try them. Oh...and how did I not know you had a blog Aunt Jody!?! So glad I found it. ;)

    ReplyDelete