Monday, June 7, 2010

Flat Tire

One summer, quite a few years ago, I found myself driving alone with all of the kids. It wasn't that big of a deal, except that we were in Idaho. We had just dropped Randy off at the airport to return home for work. We attended a cousin's wedding reception and then we were off on a venture to the cabin. It was daylight. Things were under control. I could do this.

As we rolled along the unfamiliar access road to enter the highway, however, I knew I had a small problem. The road was smooth, but it felt like we were hitting only pot holes. I found a side street and quickly pulled off. Leaving all my good kids in the car, I got out and sure enough, the back tire was flat. Me - alone - only the kids - strange place in Idaho - a little scary.

As I stood there, I must have looked helpless to the couple who just happened to come jogging by. I was relieved to see them. Thank goodness they were willing to help remedy our situation. As I retrieved the tire changing gear from the back, the man promptly got on his back, while the woman got down to help him. They were a team. I pretty much stood back and made smaller than small talk. I was so grateful to them. As time went on, however, it became apparent that the man was having a hard time. I became more nervous as the sky began to get gray. He was a hard worker, but struggled. His hands shook as he unscrewed each bolt. He huffed and puffed and kept wiping away sweat from his face. At one point, as I came around to check on the kids, I heard the woman's voice behind me. She whispered, "You don't know how much this means to him." She explained that he was recovering from some limitations and though this was hard for him, he really needed the experience to prove himself. She was the grateful one - they both were. I also couldn't help but notice his ragged clothing. You could tell he didn't have much. It was dark when he finished. He had managed to change my tire in a completely charitable manner. He never hesitated. And as I stood there, face to face, thanking the couple, before we parted, I was pleased to be able to pay him more than I would have any other.

We loaded up again and were off - up the mountain, in the dark, to the cabin. I could have felt sorry for myself in any other situation. Flat tires are no fun. But I had been taught an overwhelming lesson that day. My misfortune was only this little jogging man's gain. Our flat tire experience met his needs. I think we would have been safe either way. But I also think that our flat tire was minor, compared to what he benefited.

Even though it was dark, things were still under control. I could not have done it alone. I'm sure were all being watched over that day.

1 comment:

  1. I noticed you wrote all your "good kids" in the car. Did you make Gregg sit outside the car? (just kidding)

    ReplyDelete